Are you deeply interested in getting to learn more about Solar Power, your journey now ends? In this review, we will show you everything you should know about Solar Energy including how it works, the types, uses, the importance to mankind, advantages/disadvantages alongside the benefits to the environment as a whole, how to save power when using solar energy, the costs and effects of the solar system on man and his environment.
You’ll learn all this in this post, so stay tone as you read!
Read Also: A Comprehensive Review On Solar Panels
Overview Of Solar Energy
Solar energy is the form of energy we get from the sun that can be converted into electrical energy which is used for different purposes in businesses, homes, and factories. It is the cleanest form of electricity and the most abundant renewable energy source available for mankind.
This review is to give in detail all that you need to know about solar energy. It uses, how it works, the types, benefit, cost, their importance to mankind, alongside their pros and cons, etc.
Solar energy can be said to be radiant heat or light from the sun, this energy is harnessed by using a range of technologies like solar heating, artificial photosynthesis, molten salt, power plants, solar thermal and photovoltaic in order to generate electricity. Through this process, it can now be used as the light sources use at homes, offices, and businesses in powering devices (gadgets), appliances, tools, and working equipment.
How Does Solar Power Works
Solar energy works with solar panels by absorbing sunlight with photovoltaic cells creating DC (direct current) energy and then transforming it to usable alternating current (AC) energy with the help of inverter technology. Alternating current (AC) energy then flows via the home’s electrical panel and is distributed accordingly to power devices, appliances, tools, and equipment.
Solar energy has dozens of uses with respect to different applications. They are as follows:
- Solar energy generates electricity with heat engines or solar cells
- It is used as heat for making hot water, heating cooking and buildings
- It can be used to take salt away from the seawater
- It uses sun rays for drying clothes and towels
- To use for cooking like solar cookers
- Plants also use solar energy for the process of photosynthesis
There are two types are photovoltaic and thermal solar energy. Read more about them below:
Photovoltaic Solar Energy technology directly transforms sunlight into electricity while Solar Thermal technology harnesses its heat. The photovoltaic and thermal solar tech taps the sun’s energy locally and in bigger scale solar farms for the purpose of generating electricity and producing light use in powering applications from different generations.
Advantages And Disadvantages Solar Energy
The following are the advantages of solar power:
- Solar energy is a renewable energy source
- It helps in reducing electricity bills
- With solar power, there are diverse applications
- With solar energy comes with low maintenance costs
- Technology development is high with solar power system
Disadvantages Of Solar Power
- The initial cost of installing solar power is high. This can be batteries, wiring, inverter, solar panels, and installation. Solar power technologies are steadily developing.
- Solar power is weather dependent: though it can be harvested a little during rainy and cloudy days but the efficiency of the solar system will drop drastically during that period.
- Storing of solar power is very expensive: it needs to be used right away but it can be stored in large batteries. These batteries in off-the-grid solar systems and can be charged during the day and used at night. This can be a very good solution for storing solar energy but it is very expensive.
- Solar power needs a lot of space: the more electricity one needs to produce, the more solar panel it will be needed and solar PV panels needs a lot of space whereas some roofs aren’t big enough to accommodate them.
- Solar power is associated with pollution: though this source of power supply might not be as polluted as the other source of other supply but it still gives a little level of pollution. The emission of greenhouse gases has been associated with the transportation and installation of solar systems.
The information below denote the importance of Solar Energy, they are:
- The sun supports all life on earth through sunshine
- Solar power provides both light and heat by fusing hydrogen into helium
- The solar engine provides direct lighting and heating businesses and homes for electricity
- It also offers a clean alternative to electricity
How to Save Power When Using Solar Energy
There are various ways of saving power when using solar power, they are as follows:
- Install solar panels
- Use most solar heaters for heating water
- Use solar light bulbs most times
- Try to use solar chargers and solar power banks
- Avoid the use of dryer when you can use the clothesline
- If possible use mostly to dry your food
- Use mostly solar hot water panels for heating your pool
- Conserve power by using a solar oven to cook food
- Use passive solar heating because it needs less special technology
- It will be better to use a solar furnace
Using solar energy will derived the following benefits:
- It will reduce your electric bill: with solar power, the utility bill will be low since solar is naturally generated electricity which now transmits to be light.
- Solar power is one of energy that is least negative impactful on the environment unlike other sources and needs little water for maintenance.
- The greatest benefit is that it is less noisy since its solar installations is in the urban area
- It gives great amount of energy production during peaks hours and the energy provided now has higher value.
- Applications of solar energy is everywhere it can be used for both remote and urban areas, it can even be used to power boats and spacecraft.
- There is low electricity lost during long distance transport.
- Solar power improves the grid security. A grid that has high penetration of solar energy has thousands of energy production centers which are widely spread out.
- Solar power also creates jobs through its installation, which invariably boost the economy and of course affects the local community positively.
The Cost Of Solar Energy
- 200W Monocrystalline Solar panel is about 39NGN to 50NGN
- 200W Polycrystalline Starts at about 43,000NGN to 70NGN
- While the 10W solar panels can go for 6,000NGN to 8,000NGN
Effect Of Using Solar Power
The truth is solar power isn’t all perfect it has both the downsides and the upsides. The downsides of solar power are:
- It uses hazardous chemicals to produce heat.
- There are problems with recycling and disposing of solar panels.
- There is always environmental impact with solar installations and also from leaks of materials used.
Solar energy is the coolest form of power supply because it is generated through solar panels with the help of sunlight. Despite its effects on the environment but its positives still outweigh the downsides. If widely used, it can prevent the effect of climate change. It does provide domestic, clean, and renewable energy sources.