The world energy needs can be gotten from the sun generating power, the truth is that the sun can generate more energy than we ever expected since the solar energy is a more dependable and lasting source of energy supply for electricity. All one will need is solar panels and a good environment.
This review is a complete guide on all that you need to know about solar panels and all its details ranging from how it works, features, types, it benefits, importance, advantages/disadvantages, and price alongside things to be considered when buying a solar panel. So if your search is in relative to this, we have you on the way!
Overview Of Solar Panel
A solar panel otherwise known as the solar plate is a term for a photovoltaic module which is otherwise known as PV module. It is a device that readily transforms light energy from the sun to electrical energy. A PV module can be described as an assembly of photovoltaic cells that are mounted in a framework for installation.
These PV cells use sunlight as a source of energy and it generates (DC) direct current electricity. So the collection of PV modules is a PV panel while the system of it is called arrays of a photovoltaic system that now offers solar electricity to all electrical equipment, tools, and appliances.
How Do Solar Plate Works
A solar panel works by allowing particles of light or photons to knock electrons free from atoms which, therefore, generate a flow of electricity. It is photovoltaic which means that it helps to convert sunlight into electricity. The solar plate is made up of many cells linked together that helps it in carrying out these processes.
Solar panels has the following features and specs:
- Solar panels are rated by its power and output voltage
- They are available in different watts which ranges from 10W to about 320W
- The efficiency of solar panels is in percentage which could be from 7% to 20%, though having a high percentage of the solar plate is the best.
- The solar panel can be installed with a solar tracker to generate a good amount of sunlight
- These panels can last between the years of 10- 25 but can still degrade overtime
- Solar panels consist of an array of photovoltaic cells linked together.
There are various types of solar panels and there are listed below:
Monocrystalline Solar Panels: This traditional type of solar plate that can be used in conventional surroundings. These panels have a good efficiency rate and are the purest ones. It can easily be recognized via their rounded edges and uniform dark look.
Polycrystalline Solar Panels: These are great solar plates that have square shapes, come in blue, and look speckled. These solar panels are made by melting raw silicon which is a cheaper and faster process though has a shorter lifespan.
Thin Film Solar Cells: This is among the 2nd generation solar panels and it is less expensive. These panels are produced by placing one or more films of photovoltaic materials which could be copper or silicon onto a substrate. Thin-film solar cells are easily produced.
Amorphous Silicon Solar Cell: This solar panel is used mainly for pocket calculators, they have a triple-layered technology which can be described as the best for film variety.
Biohybrid Solar Cell: These solar plates are still in the research phase, this panel is to take advantage of the photo-system which will copy the natural process of photosynthesis.
The following are the benefits of solar panels:
- They are great for heat generation for cooking and heating a building
- To generate electricity
- To absorb sun rays for drying towels and clothes
- Great for plants which aid photosynthesis
- Helps to reduce utility inflation
- It is eco-friendly as it protect the environment
Prices For Solar Panel
Solar panels are available at different prices following their watt range; the following are their prices in Naira:
- 100Watt: 20,000 to 80,000NGN
- 80Watt: 16500 to 45,000NGN
- 60Watt : 25,000 to 40,000NGN
- 50Watt: 14,900 to 35,000NGN
- 30Watt : 14,500 to 30,000NGN
- 20Watt: 9500 to 20,000NGN
- 10Watt: 6000 to 20,000NGN
Advantages and Disadvantages of Using Solar Panels
Pros of solar plates
- It has a low maintenance cost
- It is a great technology development that is quite helpful
- It produces renewable energy and can last for a long time
- They are durable so replacing them takes a while
- It is the cleanest form of generating electricity
Cons of solar panels
- Solar panels storage is expensive
- The solar panel uses a lot of space because of its sizes
- The initial cost is fairly high and can’t be afforded by average homes
What Charges a Solar Panel?
The solar panel is charged when the solar plate converts sunlight into DC electricity to charge the battery. This direct current (DC) electricity is given to the battery through a solar regulator that makes sure the battery is charged properly and that it doesn’t get damaged.
Solar Panels Installation
Solar plates installation is all about mounting the solar PV panels on a location. This is mostly on the roofs but if not desirable can be mounted on the ground.
Things to be Considered Before Installation of Solar Panels
The following need to consider before installing solar panels:
- Access to the sun, ensure that no objects are blocking the panel from the sun access
- The mounting system needs to be set up
- You will need to erect scaffolding to ensure safety during the process
Best Solar Plate For Home
There two types of solar plates to choose for use at home. You can choose either the Monocrystalline or the polycrystalline solar panels reasons were as follows:
The Monocrystalline solar plates were the first sets of the solar panel to be produced and more research work and development has been done on them. They are the most popular in the market and they come in black color. The name simply implies that they come from single continuous silicon crystal. These solar plates are more efficient but expensive too.
On the other hand, polycrystalline solar plates are also great, these panels are made from solar cells from multiple crystals of silicon hence the name. They come in blue, lot cheaper, and have better temperature tolerance than the former.
The solar panels are devices that are very important for the generation of clean and noiseless energy for power supply. So their needs can’t be eliminated for a long period, though installing them comes at a high price but they are worth all the money expended on them. You can try having them for your personal use to enjoy a clean electricity source producing light in powering your generation.