Government of Canada jobs are for those that search jobs posted by employers across Canada. With this article, we’ll help you get matched with a job. With the government of Canada jobs, you will get the opportunities to work for the federal government in the county of Candana.
So, if asked how do I get a job with the Canadian government? Is it hard to get a government job in Canada? Do government jobs in Canada pay well? Are government jobs permanent in Canada? You’ve come to the right page that answers.
If you pick interested in applying for federal government jobs in Canada, we’ll share with you what to expect while applying for Government of Canada jobs.
How to get job in Canada government
With the help of GC account (Government of Canada account), you’ll be able to apply for available jobs in Canada or see Canada jobs opportunities to work for the federal government.
Getting the best government of Canada jobs / federal public service job includes several steps. Here’s what you can expect but though not necessarily in this order:
- Create a GC account (Government of Canada Jobs account).
- Apply to a job.
- Do check your Government of Canada Jobs account to see if you have been screened in.
- Prepare yourself and take a written test, or go to an interview if required.
- Provide references to the manager and go through security screening.
- Frequently check your GC Jobs account/email to receive updates on the process.
Types of work on the federal government of Canada jobs
There are several ways you can get hired into the federal public service in Canada:
- Permanent employment is referred to as indeterminate.
- While shorter employment opportunities can be either term or casual (usually 90 days or less).
How do I get my Testing, interviews, and accommodation measures right?
Thinking of how to go about testing, interviews, or accommodation measures, if you’ve passed the screening process after applying, you might be required to take a test or set of tests.
You can possibly get a job interview invitation. If you believe that assessment accommodations could make exams or interviews more accessible to you, let the person who is inviting you to them know as soon as possible.
Below on this page, we’ll provide you with some useful links to help prepare for testing, interviews, and accommodation.
You May Also Like:
What to know before you apply for GC jobs
To find job opportunities in the federal government Canada and with employers across the country in Canada, the following must be put in place:
Create an account
Create a GC Jobs account, but before you get started, do ensure you read the privacy notice. Then click on the blue Continue button at the bottom of the page to go to the GC Jobs account page.
Foreign credential validation against Canadian standards
You must get your certificates or diplomas evaluated in accordance with Canadian educational standards if you received your education outside of Canada. Learn how to get your educational credentials evaluated by a reputable credential evaluation firm so that the federal public service will accept them.
How to find and apply for Government of Canada jobs
- Login to your account to apply for a job or to review the status of your application.
- Search for available public service jobs.
- Use filters to refine your GC job search.
- To make your job search easier, you can:
- Create a saved search.
- Sign up for email alerts, where the search criteria you have chosen will be applied and will be saved to your account.
- On the job advertisement, select the Apply online link.
- Work your way through the list of Requirements, completing each section and saving as you go.
- If you identify as a woman, or are an Aboriginal person, a member of a visible minority, or a person with a disability, you may self-declare in the Employment Equity section of the Requirements, using consent option 3.
- Submit your application before the closing date and time listed on the job advertisement, using the Submit application link.
What happens next after I have applied for GC jobs?
- After you apply, your application will remain in the Submitted job applications section of your account until the closing date.
- If you need to edit or update your application, you can select Retrieve application up to the closing date of the process and make your changes.
- Ensure you re-submit your application by the closing date or you will not be considered for the job.
How will I know the result of my GC job application?
- Use the Status of job applications page to review the initial screening results of your application.
- The hiring department or agency will follow up with you regarding next steps.
- If you have any questions about the hiring process, contact the hiring department or agency (i.e the person listed at the bottom of the job advertisement).
How will I get started my security clearance when applied for GC Jobs?
Every position with the Canadian government requires a security clearance or status. If you don’t have the necessary security status or clearance, the hiring manager or HR adviser will start the process in the final stages of a job application, and you’ll be given forms to fill out.
You can be required to go through an additional security process by some departments and organizations. There are 3 levels of security which are:
- Reliability Status.
- Secret (Level II).
- Top Secret (Level III).
Will the criminal record be checked?
Yes, under the security status/clearance process, this step is required. Before being hired, all successful candidates must go through a criminal history check (fingerprinting) with the department (or agency). You’ll hear from the hiring manager with more information.
How do I get help if screened in or about my GC account
- For questions about a particular job (working conditions, nature of the work) or the status of your job application after you’ve been screened in, contact the person listed at the bottom of the job advertisement.
- For questions about your GC Jobs account, password, email alerts, or about a test, do use the Contact us link at the bottom of each GC Jobs page.
What is the GC job test like?
The following links will guide and prepare you before taking the Government of Canada jobs test.
- Check here for tests commonly used to assess candidates, with some sample questions and practice tests. On this page, you’ll find tests for administrative, support level, tests for officer level, tests for management level, and other.
- Check here for information on unsupervised internet testing.
- See the link for information on writing online tests.
- Link for second language testing and language requirements.
Hope you find the Government of Canada job opportunities you seek for? Do let us know in the comment box below. Also share with us the text questions or discuss in the detail the interview process to help others prepare also.