Review on step up transformer: There’s always the need to either step up or step down the alternating voltage which will suit our desire according to the primary or secondary windings.
Well, with this guide, you will be able to know everything herein you needed to know about the step-up transformers and their working principle.
The review here will either enlighten you about the step-up transformer or get you updated with the knowledge of it.
What Is A Step Up Transformer?
A step-up transformer can be described as the device or transformer that aids in stepping up the voltage from the primary winding to the secondary winding at the same time keep the power of both windings at the rated frequency.
How To Make A Step Up Transformer
Use equal length bars of steel with a slim layer of electrically insulating tape. You can then wrap different hundred turns of magnet wire around the two bars.
You can as well make the windings with same or unequal number of turns especially if you need to urgently step the voltage up.
Step Up Transformer Working Model
The step up transformer works with a model called the magnetic induction principle. The step up transformer is all about increasing the voltage. It input supply is always on the low voltage winding which automatically makes it a step up transformer.
Step Up Transformer Price
The fact is that set up transformer are available in different prices because of factors like utility, manufacturer, brands and its availability. But a step up transformer can be gotten from the range of $40 – $100 and above.
Step Up Transformer Formula
The formula for step up transformer is denote as follows:
A= n1/n2 =vi/v2 =l2/l1
Where a = turns ratio of transformer
N1 = number of turns on primary
N2 = number of turns on secondary
V1 = primary voltage
V2 = secondary voltage
L1 = primary current
L2 = secondary current
Step Up Transformer 110v To 240v
The fact is that step up transformer when plugged into a standard 240 volt power supply will reduce the voltage to a safer 110V so there will be no use buying any costly circuit breakers.
You can even hire the circuit breaker to use but to convert the voltage back to 240V; you will need a step up transformer to step it up.
How Does A Step Up Transformer Work
The step up transformer works according to the numbers of coils in used. For step up transformer to work its coil must move from 2 coils to 10 coils 1.5 volts.
This simply means that if the number of loops in the secondary coil is more than the primary windings then the voltage will increase or will be more which enable it to work as a step up transformer.
How To Identify A Step Up Transformer
The step up transformer can be first identified without nameplate; this can be achieved by checking the size of bushing of both sides which could be the primary and secondary windings.
In the same vain in the name plate of a transformer the primary side voltage and the secondary side is always mentioned.
If the primary voltage is less than the secondary voltage then it is a step up transformer. A transformer with bi-directional on load tap changer can be used as a step up transformer. Transformer with 132v/33kv is a step up transformer.
Does Step Up Transformer Increase Current Or Power
Step up transformers output which is secondary windings voltage is greater than their primary winding which is the input. So it reduces the output current for keeping the input and output power of the system balanced.
This simply means that step up transformer increases the voltage from primary to secondary i.e. more secondary winding turns than that of primary winding turns.
The step up transformer can be used in the following ways:
- There are useful in the generating stations
- Can be very valuable for power transmission applications
- It can be used to give a higher voltage at the end of the transmission lines
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Step-Up Transformer
Advantages (Pros) of step – up transformer include:
- It is great for electronic equipment which are stabilizers, inverters and batteries
- It is awesome for transmitting power, it enable electricity to be transmitted over long distances but at a small cost
- Step up transformers works 24/7; this is the whole essence of it being used in the power distribution systems
- With step up transformer you need low maintenance, just a little cleaning and checking of oils which needs small money
- It doesn’t need a starting; operation on it can be started immediately without delay
- It is really efficient for improved technological advancement of transformers
- It is good for balancing low voltage to the higher voltage in the transformers
- Step up transformer is reliable for electrical power transmission
- It does convert low voltage and high current from the primary side to the high voltage and low current on the secondary side of the transformer
Disadvantages of step up transformer (cons) are:
- Its need a cooling system: with step up efficiency and long period usage, it will be heated up during operation and as such it will need a cooling system almost all the time too.
- It is used for only AC voltages and only be used for stepping up alternating current. It doesn’t work with direct current or DC voltages.
- It is bulky since it has a higher output voltage and not just the voltage, the cooling system also add to it bulkiness
Here you have it, detailed information on step up transformer. It is pertinent to acquire a step up transformer if need be since it is an essential part of power generation and transmission system.
This review is an eye opening especially for novices that were yet to grab the clear picture of what the step up transformer is all about.