The step down transformer is a transformer that is very useful when it comes to regulating the voltage of the transformer.
It is pertinent to have this device since the transformer must be regulated to our desire. Depending on how you need the setting of your transformer, you will need the step-down transmission at a point in time.
A step down transformer which decreases the voltage from primary to secondary windings will be a must used here. You will learn more about the step down transformer as you keep reading this article.
Working Principle Of Step Down Transformer
The step down transformer working principle is based on the principle of magnetic induction which is mostly between the coils.
This step down transformer is made up of two or more coils that is wound on the iron core of the transformer.
The voltage applicable here is to the primary of the coil which magnetizes the iron core that will now induce the secondary windings of the transformer.
Uses Of Step Down Transformer
- The step down transformer converts high voltage, low current power into low voltage, high current power
- It helps in reducing the induced voltage running via the secondary coil; this will ultimately decrease the output voltage
- It is used for a voltage conversion.
- Step down transformer is used to step down the input voltage; this is when the secondary voltage is less than the primary voltage
Step Down Transformer Price
The price of a step down transformer is based on some factors like the brand, the watts and its size. The small size or watt transformer of step down can be as low as #7,000 while the big ones can be as high as #60,000
How Does Step Down Transformer Reduce Voltage?
It does this since the transfer has good amount turns of wire on the primary coil which can’t be compared to the secondary coil turns.
This large quantity decreases the induced voltage which was running through the secondary coil, and this will lead to ultimate reduction in the output voltage.
What Does A Step Down Transformer Do?
The step down transformer does the following:
- It reduces the incoming voltage from the primary to secondary end
- It also used to turn the transformer coil to be directly proportionate to the voltages of both primary and secondary ends
- It is used to reduce the output voltage to reduce high voltage hazards like shock
- Used for wielding since it has more current at low voltage.
- It is used to match impedance of most audio circuits
Difference Between Step Down And Step Up Transformer
The difference between a step down and step up transformer is the function each carries out. A step down transformer is one which output voltage is less than its input voltage.
It increases the output current while the step up transformer is one that the output is greater than it primary voltage.
This transformer decreases the output current for storing the output and input power of the transformer and keeping it balanced.
Is It Safe To Use A Step Down Transformer?
Just like any other electrical device, a step down transformer is safe for use provided it is used correctly.
This is a device that is commonly used to convert the 220 volts that is mainly used around the world for the need of the 110 volts demanded. So it is safe for use but must be used with caution
How Does The Step-Down Transformers Voltage Converter Works
Voltage converter is a device that works according to it name, it’s a device that converts voltage up or down which will aids in the use of either appliances or electronics that need a voltage other than what is presently available.
Step down transformers converter is used by people in countries that have 110/120 volts that might be moving to a country that uses high volts between 220 -240 volts.
This is also applicable to people in high voltage country but are trying to use the products from countries that has products with 110/120 volt products.
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Using Step Down Transformer
Looking for the pros and cons of the step down transformers, they are outlined below:
Advantages of step-down transformer
- Stepping down voltage: With step down transformer, you are sure of stepping down your voltage, this will enable transmission power to easy and cheap
- More efficiency: With step down transformer, there’s a 99% rating when it comes to efficiency. It is highly efficient for reduction of voltage.
- Various voltages demanded: Step down transformer offers varied voltage requirement. It can step down high voltage to whatever needed volts.
- Low cost: step down transformer is quite affordable and can be used by even low income earner.
- It is highly durable: step down transformer isn’t only cost effective; it is long lasting and durable so you would be having value for your money.
- High reliability: the step down transformer is highly dependable so you should be sure of getting the best off it. So it is highly reliable if you need it to help you increase your voltage from primary to secondary.
Disadvantages of step-down transformer
- Needs a cooling system: Step down transformer requires cooling system, it heats up a lot of time and is not possible to just shut down while waiting for it to cool. So one will need a round the clock cooling system.
- It works just with AC: The fact that it can only be used for stepping up alternating current or AC voltages. It can’t be used for DC voltages and direct current. So it can only be used for AC operations.
- Bulky: step down transformer increases as voltage increases, so the bigger the transformer the bigger the voltages and this isn’t limited to transformer alone, even the cooling system is also weighty.
There you have it, all the basic information you needed to know about the step-down transformer which is one of the useful transformers that is basically designed to reduce the voltage from the primary winding to the secondary winding.
The step down transformer is one of the essential types of a transformer that you will really need at home, officer or business area to encourage effective electricity distribution.